Tuesday, February 8, 2011

First Meeting

So I am coming out of my blogging cave to blog about my research trip to Taiwan this summer.

Yesterday we had our first meeting and I think the group is a good one! Alot of people are in the field of pre-med or public health and medical anthropology . It was surprising to see so many different people with interests in Asian culture who are not Asian themselves!

My main research interests are in the multiracial adolescent population and the effects of race (specifically mixed race) on mental health and eating disorders. However my secondary interests lie in the Asian population and how their culture affects their mental health and eating disorder outcomes.

There hasnt been alot of research in the field of eating disorders and body image in Asia until recently and that has to alot with the exposure to Asian countries and cultures to the Western culture.

This journey to Taiwan has special meaning to me since my mother is from Taiwan and it will give me a chance to get in touch that part of my heritage as well as pursue my research interests in that area.

No comments:

Post a Comment